Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Running: My Journey on the road

Ever since I've started to change my life style, running was the first form of exercise I've done to trim down those excess body fats I have. Recommended by my Nutritionist and Gym Instructor, I do run 2 to 3 times a week in Quezon City Memorial Circle, rain or shine, in [body] pain or tardy times I kept on mind “I must run to improve my breathing and for the great change I wanted”.
Dreams do come true
Purely recreational, I do challenge myself to add distance in my usual routine. Circling the main oval of the Quezon Monument from 3 to 5 times and after a week, I’ve managed to include the bicycle route in my runs. After several days, weeks and months of consistently pursuing my goal to finish that specific loop, I’ve learned the proper timing of breathing and listening to my body rhythm. Which is important in running, know your limit, listen and feel your body. I’ve just continue to test my endurance by adding course route in my schedule runs. From Tandang Sora to QC Memorial Circle, then the bicycle lines and to finish the path, 3 loops in the main oval. Hard core it may seem, It’s very rewarding knowing and feeling satisfied that it’s possible to achieve a “training plan” if you’re motivated and training constantly

Mainstream : Fun Run
I’ve started to join “fun runs” last quarter of 2011. I wanted to try to run with group of people and to finish the 5k category in my best time possible. I fairly remember that race. It was Yamaha Run; I’ve crossed the finish line with personal record of 28 minutes. Not bad for first timer liked me.
Yamaha Run 2011 | First Fun Run | 5k Category
It was followed by HP Fun Run organized by our company. Then, I've joined different short distance run, see photo below.
HP Fun Run 2011 | Mckinley Hills | 3k Category
HP Fun Run 2012 | September 2012 | 5k Category | Mckinley Hills
Hyundai Run| April 2012| 5k Category | Run for Education | Quirino Grandstand 
FIC Run | March 2012 | 5k Category | BGC | with office mates 
I've run in my comfortable speed and enjoyed the moment. There’s an unexplainable sensation when I’ve reached the finish line, somewhat feeling grateful with my small achievement. A winner in my own rights. From then on, I told myself “I’ll include running in my lifestyle”. I’m hooked with running and joining several fun runs held in BGC, a part of me wants that adrenaline rush on the road.

I've started my 2013 with my optimistic goal "to be serious in running"
Bulls Run | January 2013 | 21k | BGC
Bangkero Festival  | March 2013 |Provincial Race | 16k Category | Pagsanjan, Laguna
Takbo.ph RunFest | July 2013 | BGC
37th Milo Marathon (Elimination) | July 2013 | Mall of Asia, seaside
HP Run 2013 | September 2013 | BGC

Till I've decided December of 2012 to be serious with this sport. I trained so hard for my first half marathon which is the Quezon City International Marathon held at QC memorial circle followed by the 36th Milo marathon at Mall of Asia, seaside area.

For two months of practice run, I’ve finished the 4th QCIM at 2 hours 19 minutes and 28 seconds. I’ve felt muscle cramps in the middle of the race but I kept on mind to be toughed but never in my wildest dream to withdraw myself from the race. This is my dream, to test my endurance on the road. Seeing from a far the QC monument I felt high hopes to finish the race and as I progress running I can finally see the finish line, I maximize my time and speed to cross the line. Very rewarding when the marshal gave me my very first 21k medal. Surreal experience and all the pain and exhaustion paid off.

Same as the Milo Marathon, I am full of optimism to reach my goal. To be physically fit and mentally prepared in every race that I’ll join.
36th Milo Marathon | December 2012| Mall of Asia | Half Marathon | Finals
37th Milo Marathon | Full Marathon | July 2013 | Mall of Asia
After the back to back runs, I’m still motivated to continue my dream as I dare myself to try a full length marathon. Condura Skyway Marathon 2013, the much awaited running event of the year. I’ve persistently run and sweat till the week before the race. This is it. No more turning away.

I’ve learned my lesson during my back to back 21k runs. Long time of preparation is needed, time and effort plus strategy with desire category to finish strong. My goal is to have my own 42k medal and to finish strong. I am determined to do so.

My first attempt would be my most memorable marathon to date. I’ve felt the most painful muscle cramps in my legs during kilometer 33 of the race. I’m very sorry for myself, last 9 kilometer but my body failed to cooperate. I walked and rested for a while and continue running if I can. As the finish line was getting near I force myself to move forward and have a time of 5 hours and 30 minutes. A very gratifying experience to have a 42k medal and bragging the right of skyway marathon finisher. Very proud
Condura Skyway Marathon | Full Marathon | February 2013 | Filinvest Alabang
At the end of the day, as I've analyzed my performance on the road, I've told myself “Need more practice and motivation Baron, you did well but felt pain at the end”. Having those thoughts in mind, I’ve still continue to run.

What’s next after finishing a full length marathon, I’ve decided to learn and be even stronger on the road. I’ve joined sport clinic and running seminars to improve myself. I do interval trainings and add up leg exercises to strengthen my quads. I read informative running guides, tips and inspiring stories to be motivated.
MultiSport | First leg : Running
Sport Clinic | Running | tips | MultiSport
Last July 2013, I've joined the 37th Milo Marathon[Elimination] held at the MOA, seaside area and applied all the learning’s I've acquired in the past. I must say I've finished strong! I felt muscle pain but I've still manage to run and grab my second 42k medal for this year. As I promised myself to keep on running and improving. Next year I'll dare myself to register again and conquer the route once again.
Milo Medal | July 2013 
Till this very day, I still train and learn new techniques in running.
Sunday Run | QC Memorial Circle | with Alma and Presci
“Be stronger” and “less or no muscle pain and/or cramps” at the end of each races.

And always beat my personal record. Challenge myself to exceed my limit, that one good reason why I love joining marathon. It’s always a challenge of physical endurance and the will power to move forward.

On that note, I’ll keep the fire burning in running. This is my goal, this is my dream. This is the winning attitude... to be motivated

No comments:

Post a Comment